Banana Bread Oat Muffins
If we don't have a smoothie our next go to breakfast is porridge, banana and flaxseed. Although we have it so much that sometimes we get a little bored. When this happens I normally do oat & banana pancakes but this time I mixed it up even further - muffins! I wanted them to still have the same benefits as porridge so this recipe is high in fibre and protein, low in fat and doesn't contain oils or refined sugars. If you're used to very sugary or oily muffins, you might find these a bit more bread like in consistency but they make for a filling breakfast and one bake sorts you out for the whole week.
MAKES 11-12 (depending on tray size)
What you need
- Muffin tray
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup buckwheat groats (or more oats)
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 TBS flaxseed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup dates
- 1.5 cups mylk of choice
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Blend oats and buckwheat into a fine flour and add to bowl.
- Add flaxseed, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt to bowl and mix well.
- Blend bananas, mylk, dates, maple syrup and vanilla (i just chuck the whole pod in for less fuss).
- Add this banana and date mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. If this seems a little too dry just add some more wet ingredients.
- Scoop into muffin tray and bake for 20 minutes at 175c.